In today's ever-evolving economy, brands are facing not only rising costs and inflation but also increased app abandonment and user churn. With users uninstalling 50% of all apps within just 30 days, expanding your focus beyond growth to mobile retargeting and retention isn't a luxury — it’s a necessity.
Keep your best customers coming back to your app with these top growth hacks for running effective mobile retargeting campaigns that will supercharge your marketing efforts.
Why Paid Mobile Retargeting Campaigns are the Key to Long-Term Growth
Paid mobile retargeting campaigns aren't just another facet of mobile advertising; they're a cornerstone of success. These campaigns focus on reigniting the interest of users who've previously interacted with a mobile app or website but didn't complete a desired action, such as signing up, making a purchase, or filling out a form.
- Increased conversion rates: Retargeting campaigns boost conversion rates up to 10 times higher than user acquisition initiatives.
- Better ROI: These campaigns offer higher conversion rates and lower acquisition costs, to fuel better ROI. By retargeting only high-potential customers, you make every ad dollar count.
Did you know the average app loses 77% of its daily active users within the first 3 days after install? Running retargeting campaigns alongside user acquisition initiatives can confront this drop off. They also help app marketers stretch their ad budgets further and limit wasted money on leaky UA campaigns.
Best Practices for Running Effective Mobile Retargeting Campaigns
Creating a seamless, personalized user journey is pivotal to the success of your mobile retargeting campaigns. Here are key strategies to keep in mind:
Create Audience Segments
Segmentation is your secret weapon. By categorizing users based on criteria like age, gender, location, device type, and behavior, you can tailor your campaigns to specific groups. This ensures that your marketing efforts are laser-focused, targeting only those most likely to convert. Furthermore, segmentation can help you zero in on groups of customers that are most likely to take a desired action from a reactivation.
For example, you could segment customers that have made a first purchase. Once grouped, you could serve these users a targeted promotion to entice them to re-open your app and make a second purchase. It’s also smart to segment groups in your customer base that might be left “untouched”. For example, users you’ve already retargeted with an ad recently. This ensures you don’t overly-market your brand in an annoying way that might prompt a user to uninstall your app.
Understand Your Audience & Personalize Your Ads
Personalization is paramount, especially in the era of data privacy. By identifying high-potential audience segments, tailoring content to their needs, and leveraging dynamic creative optimization (DCO), you can craft personalized, engaging ads that resonate with users. Personalized ads can significantly enhance engagement rates, improve your app’s user experience, and foster a stronger connection between your brand and your audience. In fact, 88% of users feel comfortable sharing their personal data with a brand if it will lead to a better user experience.
Three strategies to enhance your retention with personalization:
- As mentioned above: identify high-potential segments of your acquired audience and tailor messaging to the specific needs and preferences of each group
- Create personalized content for each segment, such as user-specific offers, product recommendations based on past behavior, or reminder notifications about unused app features
- Try dynamic creative optimization (DCO) with product feeds to match the right message to the right user at the right time based on their intent.
Elevate Your User Experience with Deep Linking
Deep linking lets your users seamlessly reach their desired in-app content without navigating through the app store. This creates a frictionless experience that boosts loyalty and conversions. In fact, deep linking can boost your app's conversion rate by more than 50%.
Moreover, deep links can help app marketers and developers understand their users better. These links provide information about a user’s origins, their current position in the user journey, and opportunities for enhancing in-app experiences and conversions through personalization. In this way, deep linking can be a powerful tool that significantly contributes to the growth of mobile apps.
Invest in Engaging Creatives
Since the rise of data privacy restrictions, creative design and strategy has emerged as a key lever of campaign optimization and performance. With that said, it’s important to design and serve eye-catching, concise ads personalized to your users’ segment. These ads should be tested rigorously to identify what resonates best with your target users.
To craft high-performing mobile ads, we recommend advertisers to make sure:
- their ads align with their app environment
- feature concise and on-brand copy
- leverage video and seasonal elements
- test rigorously to ensure all ad elements resonate with users. A/B test different ad creatives, messaging, and audience segments to identify what resonates best with your target users.
Some brands and app developers have creative resources in-house, but many don’t. It’s important to collaborate with advertising partners and DSPs that can support your creative strategy.
At YouAppi, we offer custom mobile creative design solutions to our clients as part of our Appi Studio. This is a free creative service that we provide to our partners with their mobile marketing campaign set-up regardless of their overall budget. Along with providing overall design services, Appi Studios also offers simple editing support and reformatting — in the case, for example, an advertiser is looking for assistance adapting their UA creatives for their retargeting campaigns.
The average app loses 77% of its daily active users within the first 3 days after install, making the combination of retargeting and user acquisition vital to maintain user engagement and maximize ad budgets.
Key strategies to help keep your customers coming back:
- Audience segmentation: allows marketers to target specific user groups based on various criteria, ensuring marketing efforts are highly focused.
- Personalization: 88% of users comfortable sharing their data for a better user experience.
- Dynamic Creative Optimization (DCO): delivers the right message to users at the right time based on their intent.
- Deep linking: offers a frictionless user experience, increasing loyalty and conversions. It can boost an app's conversion rate by more than 50%.
- Creative design and strategy: Align ads with their app environment, craft concise and on-brand copy, leverage video and seasonal elements, and conduct rigorous A/B testing.
Keep your top customers coming back with tailored, data-driven retargeting campaigns and re-engagement strategies. Schedule a meeting with our team to get started.