Leveraging smartphone user trends effectively is crucial for mobile marketers to drive app growth. In 2023, the number of global smartphone users is estimated at 5.25 billion, marking a 4.9% annual increase. Additionally, 88% of smartphone time is being spent on mobile apps.
By understanding and adapting to smartphone user trends, marketers can tailor their strategies to reach their target audience more effectively. This blog outlines the top smartphone trends in 2023 and the ways in which they can be used to increase app user growth and retention.
Smartphone Usage Trends
Staying updated on the newest trends in the mobile industry is vital for app marketers. By continuously monitoring industry reports, research studies, and tech blogs, marketers can stay informed about the latest smartphone user trends and use them to their advantage. They can then identify emerging behaviors and preferences among their target audience.
Below are the top ten smartphone user trends of 2023 that marketers should pay attention to:
- 94.40% of millennials have smartphones in the United States.
- Almost half of people in the United States spend 5 to 6 hours on smartphones daily.
- Smartphones make up 70% of digital media time in the United States.
- 78% of the millennials in the United States watch videos on smartphones at least once weekly as of 2023.
- Cell phone usage is expected to grow by 2-3% YoY by 2025.
- As of 2023, smartphone app usage time in the United States has increased by 25% since 2019.
- In 2023, m-commerce accounts for 73% of e-commerce.
- Mobile devices drive 65% of e-commerce traffic.
- Smartphone users touch their phones an average of 2,617 times daily in the United States.
- 72% of teenagers check their phone messages and notifications after waking up
Leveraging Smartphone Trends for App Growth
Although many of these smartphone user trends are similar to those we have seen in the past, they are still important when it comes to strategic decision making. In order for app marketers to re-engage their valuable users, it’s important they pay attention to high-spending audiences, separate themselves from competitors, and utilize cross app promotions.
Targeting Right Audience
Over 20% of Millennials open an app over 50 times per day and 78% watch videos on smartphones at least once a week as of 2023. These high spending and tech savvy users are incredibly beneficial for app marketers to focus on when it comes to increasing their paying, loyal users. Millennials, on average, spend $200 billion each year, and they’re flooding all levels of the workforce. It pays to understand how to advertise to millennials.
Targeting millennial smartphone users with ads requires a strategic approach that aligns with their digital behaviors and preferences. To effectively engage this tech-savvy and socially conscious demographic, marketers should focus on delivering authentic, relevant, and visually appealing content. Leveraging social media platforms, especially Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat, allows for the creation of visually captivating ads that resonate with millennial aesthetics.
Utilizing data-driven insights to personalize ads based on their interests will capture the attention of this generation and spur them to take in-app actions. Since these users have seen the rise of smartphones and the depth at which ads can be tailored to their needs, a simple generalized ad will not suffice.
Separating from the Competition
In an increasingly competitive and growing app landscape, it is crucial that app marketers set themselves apart from their competitors. Currently, the gaming category dominates the App Store with a 12.68% share of all the apps. If a gaming app wants to stand out against the sea of competition, they will need to understand their users’ motivations, pain points and preferences. Marketers can then tailor their messaging to highlight the specific benefits and solutions their app offers. Leveraging innovative features, exceptional user experience, and a visually appealing design can create a memorable and differentiated impression.
Additionally, fostering a sense of community through personalized interactions, engaging content, and responsive customer support can build loyalty and trust, setting the app apart as a valuable and indispensable solution within its niche. The key lies in consistently delivering exceptional value that not only addresses users' needs but also creates an emotional connection, ultimately establishing an app as a standout choice amidst the sea of competition.
Growth in M-commerce
This year, m-commerce has accounted for 73% of all e-commerce sales. Mobile commerce offers an array of benefits to users, transforming the way they engage with shopping and transactions. At the top of these benefits is the unmatched convenience it brings to consumers' lives. Through their smartphones, consumers can shop at any time and from virtually anywhere, eliminating the constraints of physical store hours and locations. This accessibility extends to a vast array of products and services, granting consumers unparalleled choice and variety.
In order for app marketers to leverage this growth in m-commerce, they need to harness user data and utilize personalization strategies in their re-engagement campaigns. M-commerce marketers can analyze this data in order to tailor recommendations and offerings based on individual preferences. For example, if a user had previously been shopping for bathing suits, marketers can offer similar recommendations or even discounts on the products they had been searching. Exclusive mobile offers keep consumers motivated to shop within the app versus on a browser.
Majority of Time Spent in Apps
Consumer’s mobile usage is still growing as we move into the second half of 2023. Consumers in more than a dozen worldwide markets are now spending four to five hours per day in apps. Mobile media consumption continues to displace viewership and listenership in traditional channels. Consumers are spending more time using mobile apps, especially for social networking and messaging.
App marketers can leverage this rise in mobile app usage by utilizing cross app promotion strategies. Cross app promotion allows different apps under the same brand or developer to collaborate to promote each other. This encourages users to explore related offerings that cater to their interests and needs. By seamlessly transitioning between apps that share consistent branding and design, users experience a smoother and more integrated digital journey, reducing friction and enhancing user satisfaction.
Takeaways of Smartphone User Trends 2023
In 2023, the number of global smartphone users is estimated at 5.25 billion, marking a 4.9% annual increase. By understanding and adapting to smartphone user trends, marketers can tailor their strategies to reach their target audience more effectively.
Leveraging Smartphone User Trends for App Growth
- Targeting Right Audience: Over 20% of Millennials open an app over 50 times per day. To effectively engage this tech-savvy and socially conscious demographic, marketers should focus on delivering authentic, relevant, and visually appealing content.
- Separating from the Competition: Currently, the gaming category dominates the App Store with a 12.68% share of all the apps. If a gaming app wants to stand out against the sea of competition, they will need to understand their users motivations, pain points and preferences.
- Growth in M-commerce: So far this year, m-commerce accounted for 73% of all e-commerce sales. Mobile commerce offers an array of benefits to users, transforming the way they engage with shopping and transactions.
- Majority of Time Spent in Apps: Consumers in more than a dozen worldwide markets are now spending four to five hours per day in apps. App marketers can leverage this rise in mobile app usage by utilizing cross app promotion strategies in order for different apps to collaborate to promote one another